7 Best Text Editors for Mac, Windows and Linux OS (Best Code Editors)
The best text editor can have a huge impact on your productivity and workflow. Although there are many text editors available in the market, you should choose a simple and functional code editor for your convenience. The best text editors offer a fast, flexible interface that allows you to be more efficient at writing code, and they offer functionality to help you examine code for mistakes and see where edits need to be made.
Top 7 Best Text Editors for Mac, Windows and Linux Operating System(Best Code Editors)
|7 Best Text Editors for Mac, Windows and Linux OS|
|1. Sublime Text|
|4. Visual Studio Code|
|6. Komodo Edit|
1. Sublime Text
The Sublime Text editor is definitely one of our favorites! Sublime Text which is available for all operating systems. There are many features available in it like you can open a folder simultaneously, you can select multiple text simultaneously, you can jump to any file and definition of any in-built class and function. can also go
Most of the web developers use this source code editor to do web programming. The advantage of multiple selection in this is that whenever you can edit any text that is available more than once in a document with only one selection, it has the advantage that you will avoid the chances of making a spelling mistake. are reduced.
Its most important feature is that it shows the scroll bar with coding in the small view on the right side, so that you can easily scroll the documents up and down.
- Runs on multiple platforms such as Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Distraction-free writing mode
- Sleek interface
- Sublime Text has extremely user-friendly and powerful shortcuts
- Provides split editing for managing and editing files next to each other
- It offers a free version for use, if you want to use it more function then you need it active
Notepad++ is a free source code editor. It supports in MS Windows. Notepad++ supports many languages. This includes things like Line Number, Color Coding, Hints and other helpful tools. These additional notepads are the best option for web designers and front end developers. C ++ programming language has been used to make this software.
Whenever you are new to the field of programming, first of all you are advised to use Notepad++ text editor because this text editor is very simple which is very easy to use. This is the advancement version of Notepad text editor because it has been made advanced by adding many features to it.
The program uses tabbed browsing, which means that multiple documents are open at a time and they will be displayed on top as tabs. While each tab represents its own file, the program can interact with them all at once with functions such as comparing files for differences and searching or replacing text.
Some of most popular featured of this like: multi-page searching, read-only mode, bookmarking, macros, resumed sessions, encoding conversions, auto-backup, , searching for words on Wikipedia, and opening the document in your web browser.
It saves text documents to a huge variety of formats like TXT, CSS, ASM, AU3, BASH, BAT, HPP, CC, DIFF, HTML, REG, HEX, JAVA, SQL, and VBS.
Windows is the only supported OS, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. That’s why we can say that it is the best text editor for windows.
- Free for everyone to use. Windows is the only supported OS, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
- Tabbed interface
- Automatically restores recently opened, unsaved files
- Notepad++ provides a list of plugins to improve the functionality of the text
- You receive a multi-view editor with syntax highlighting and folding
- Offers a multi-document interface for switching between tabs and managing multiple projects at once
Brackets is a free text editor that’s primarily meant for web designers, but can of course be used by anyone to view or edit a text document. It has many unique features like if you give color code then you will have its color show in a popup box on the same, if you give link of image and image is correct link then image will also show in popup box.
A live preview button is also available in this, by clicking on which you can see the output. If you write the code of scripting language through this software, then you will also get to know about the errors in it.
It supports multiple platforms, such as – MacOS, Windows, Linux. We can easily improve and optimize our code.
Because of its affiliation with Adobe, Brackets has somewhat of an integration with Photoshop, in that it can take pieces of your PSD file and generate code for your project.
- Use on all of your operating systems
- Free text editor that’s primarily meant for web designers
- Live preview feature ensures that all developers can see their work in a more visual manner
- Connects with GitHub
- Can split the screen to edit more than one document simultaneously
- Show or hide code hints, and more
4. Visual Studio Code
Developed by Microsoft Visual Studio Code, it is an integrated development editor that allows you to write code in HTML, CSS and other programming languages. It is an open source software, all its features are absolutely free for the developers. It builds and debugs almost all dynamic languages. Like – Node.js, Java, Python, And More. It’s also an open source project that you can download directly to macOS, Windows, or Linux for free.
Like Atom and Sublime Text, it offers a variety of packages and free extensions that can be downloaded from its marketplace to add additional features – and the code editor itself can be customized. While using it, VS Code is quick and can handle quite a few interesting tasks, such as quick Git commits or opening and sorting through multiple folders’ worth of content.
- Free text editor with open source access
- Whole folders can be opened at once to open all of the text files
- With support for Linux, Mac, and Windows
- Provides built-in Git commands
- Good for complex, larger projects
- Very robust
Read Also: Best free music download sites
Atom is an open source text editor developed by GitHub that allows you to easily customize each phase of it. Available in thousands of open source packages and atom with new features and functionality, this feature makes Atom the best code editor. They build a package from scratch and publish it for everyone else to use. atom comes pre-installed with four UIs and eight syntax themes in both dark and light colors, which are easy to customize and style Atom.
It is a cross-platform system, which works on operating systems like Linux, OS X and Windows. A large number of packages on the platform are developed by its community – and if there’s something that doesn’t already exist, you can create it by editing the CSS in its back end.
- Working on operating systems like Linux, mac OS, and Windows
- Provides a GitHub package for integrating
- Offers multiple panes for comparing and editing code side by side
- Cross-platform and based on the electron framework
- All of the editing and creation can be done in real-time
- Search for new packages and themes
6. Komodo Edit
Komodo Edit is another free text editor that has a clear and minimalist design that still manages to pack some awesome features. The idea behind Comodo Edit is to offer something powerful, yet with a certain level of simplicity, that even beginners can understand. You can download Komodo Edit best text editor for Mac or Windows operating systems. It’s free and open source, allowing those who don’t need all the advanced features a text editor to complete smaller projects.
Various scene modes are included so you can quickly open or close specific windows. One is a focus mode to hide all open windows and display the editor, and the others show or hide things like folders, syntax checker results, and information.
- Runs on Linux, macOS, and Windows
- Offers two separate versions, one that’s great for light users and another that’s for the advanced power user
- Supports bookmarking specific areas of the document
- Run scripts and commands
- Free text editor
- Lets you switch to a huge number of file types to highlight syntax differently and to save under that format
Read Also: How to compress video without losing quality
Vim is perhaps the most contentious code editor in this list. A command line software included natively with Linux operating systems and macOS and available for download for Windows, Vim is a favourite for many old-school programmers and keyboard enthusiasts. It’s navigated entirely via the keyboard, making it much faster and more efficient, but only if you make the effort to learn how to operate it. It’s also extremely customisable – to the extent that a command line program can be customised). You can use a number of keyboard shortcuts to speed up code editing, and even better, create customised commands to fit your own workflow.
- Runs on Linux, macOS, and Windows
- Good for keyboarders
- Free for everyone to use.
- Vim supports hundreds of languages, along with several different types of file formats
- Vim provides a system that’s friendly for people
- Extensive command set